Thursday, November 17, 2011

on bibliomancy

Being somewhat of a bookworm I’ve always love the idea of bibliomancy, which is the act of divination using books. The seeker opens a book at a random page or passage to gain insight about their spiritual development or a specific issue in their life. Generally spiritual texts were used, such as the Bible or the I-Ching, and the Ancient Greeks used Homer’s Iliad.

I had a particularly stressful event occur yesterday where I felt very threatened. During the incident I had someone I had never met before really screaming abuse at me and as I’m a reasonably calm person I didn’t retaliate and just left the situation. But afterwards it began to get to me and oddly, I have encountered the same individual again today. Curious as to what was behind this strange sequence of events I decided to give bibliomancy a try.

The book I chose, although not a spiritual text, is a personal favourite and one I’ve been discussing on-line the past few days, ‘Mystical Origins of the Tarot’ by Paul Huson. I held the book and fanned the pages back and forward a few times while considering the current issue before opening the book to a random page. Page 220 fell open and I noticed it was the page describing the Queen of Swords card.


Initially I thought that I’d have been as well just drawing a card from a deck, but after reading the page the following passage stood out clearly to me.

"The poet Homer in his Iliad describes both deities battling it out together on the plain in front of Troy, Pallas triumphing over Ares illustrating the power of intellect over brute force."


I am optimistic that this sentence alludes to the fact that perhaps my calm intellect will triumph over the stranger’s senseless rage. The Queen of Swords Below is from Paul Huson's Dame Fortune's Wheel Tarot, and depicts the Goddess Pallas. Hopefully in this instance Pallas-Athene is on my side.

4 comments:

  1. How extraordinary. It was whilst reading Huson last week that I was reflecting on Bibliomancy. I'm sure he mentions it somewhere (otherwise it would be too much of a coincidence). I thought how I really must try it; a beautifully bound book which has no meaning for me beyond the opening up of random pages. I must keep an eye open on the flea market! You know you need a pin to randomly stab, don't you! That's what Huson writes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realise he mentioned it in the book, how ironic that I used his book to try it out. I agree it would be nice to have a book especially for the purpose of random openings and knowing you I'm sure you'll find something amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sapienza, thank you for writing about bibliomancy! It's one of my favorite forms of divination, which is why it's surprising that I do it so rarely.

    mycuriouscabinet, thank you for the suggestion of having a book that is solely dedicated to bibliomancy and that one has never read. Now I want one, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's funny, it just seemed like the right thing to do on the day. I love it too and will also be on the lookout for that special book.

    ReplyDelete