Thursday, November 24, 2011

on temperance

I have been rather drawn lately to the image of temperance and it's no wonder at this busy time of year. As a virtue, temperance is something that I strive to attain. Generally I fail miserably as I swing wildly from one interest to the next, diving passionately into things and then abandoning them when something more exciting comes along. But I do try, and it's an image I contemplate when I need to be more moderate with my actions and my choices.

For something different the other day I decided to flip through my Dotti deck, i tarocchi by Laura Tuan. It’s a curious deck that follows the same pattern as the Della Rocca/Ancient Italian decks, which is why I came to have a copy. Much of the figure drawing is lacking the same skill as the other decks and the perspective isn't quite right in many. But I have discovered what is most certainly my favourite Temperance card of all time.


She truly does look like an angel. I love everything about this card, the colouring, her expression and the simplicity of the image.

I have included below some more of my favourite images of Temperance for those, like me, who need to bring a little moderation to their lives.


Above - Lo Scarabeo's Tarot of the Master (Vacchetta) and Ancient Italian decks


Above - The Original Mythic Tarot depicting Iris and the Cosmic Tarot illustrated by Norbert Losche

Above - The Nigel Jackson Tarot and The Roots of Asia Tarot

1 comment:

  1. I drew this card earlier in the week. From the Balbi, very "pop" ! That and the 3 of Coins and I had asked about work. It struck me as meaning how stressful work is for me and how it is a warning not to "lose your cool". I had never thought of it in that way before. it is normally a card I find a little dull. But - yes - having to do your duty carefully without losing your cool and spilling a drop!

    ReplyDelete